25 April 2011


Welcome to the world, Frances Marian!

When I woke up at 5am on April 7th, I wasn't sure if what I was feeling were contractions. I took a bath and tried my best to relax, but the discomfort wouldn't go away & seemed to be picking up pace. I texted Bianca, our Doula to tell her what was going on & she called me back & said it looked like we were going to Babytown that day.

In prenatal class we were told that early labour could last up to 12 hours - and that you should go to the hospital once contractions were 5 minutes apart for 1 hour. Mine went straight to about 2-3 minutes apart. Our awesome friend Avril came over to drive us to the hospital right smack dab in the middle of morning traffic & Bianca made it just in time (I was getting super edgy & was insisting on just going to the hospital without waiting for her to arrive). I kept looking out the window & thinking 'Everyone else is going to work...I'm going to have a baby!'

My labour was, quite honestly, wonderful. There is nothing I would have done differently, I progressed quickly through all stages, she came out with 9 minutes of pushing & Gord was able to be there for the whole entire thing - he cut the cord & got skin on skin contact with her right after I did. Having a doula was the best thing we could have possibly done - she was so awesome! It really made all the difference for us.

It's been 3 weeks now & I still cannot believe I made her!

I've scoured every inch of her body & there is not one single thing wrong with her.
The first week was pretty hairy - I was having lots of Breastfeeding issues, but things are starting to sort themselves out now.

She even spends some of her time with her eyes open!

We're totally in love with her. She's a real (Niagara) peach.

Now... to figure out how to get some knitting in!


Amy said...

I'm so happy for you two!!! She is cute as a button.

Your beginning of labour story sounds SO much like mine. I work up around the same time feeling uncomfortable and not knowing what was going on, took a bath, called our doula and was all of a sudden having contractions three minutes apart. Except I had to drive two hours to the hospital. Blech.

Beth said...

What a perfectly beautiful little face! Longtime lurker here, and I am thrilled for you!! She is lovely!

nicole said...

Thanks Amy!
Oh gosh! I don't think I would have lasted a 2 hour drive!!
The main reason I wasn't sure if it was contractions is that I had all back labour - so nothing in the front, which was where I was expecting it!

Beth: thanks for your comment! And glad to see a lurker 'delurk'!

Amy said...

Kate was posterior too (I think that's the same as back labour)!

deknit said...

Congratulations! Your daughter looks just too cute. All the best wishes for the three of you!