30 September 2006

driveway to driveway....



Today I nestled into my sewing room, revisited some old favourite records & went to work on an idea I was hoping would turn out....
I wanted to extend the Built by Wendy blouse pattern (Simplicity 4111) into a dress. Could I do it? Turns out I could - quite successfully!


The fabric is from my stash - satin-y brown stuff with a geometic square pattern all over it. Not something I'd normally wear, but I needed it for a draping class I took about 5 years ago. We were told we needed 3 yards & of course I ended up using less than one. So it's been sitting in my collection for far too long. I figured if it didn't work out then it'd be no big loss. I also intended this to be a trial run & wasn't *really* expecting to like the finished dress as much as I think I do.

A close-up of the pattern:


The buttons on the front get a little lost with all the hooplah of the squares, but it's totally still cute.

Now I just need someone to take me somewhere where I can wear a satin-y dress. Anyone?.... Any takers?..... no?...

And about the "awesome graffiti" I made reference to in my last post..here's what remained of it when I finally got to take a picture:


It says "Sarah Polly is fucking GAY!" but the rainy weather we've been having washed away the good parts.

8 comments:

Tiger Feet said...

Hey Awesome - your Awesome! Not only do you make supercool outfits, but you still listen to 45s! I have my record collection in storage on the other side of the country, but it's getting shipped over at Thanksgiving...

I miss my Bad Brains lps too much...

Love your dress - are you going to wear it over winter, or is it more of a spring thing?

Tiger Feet said...

ps - you should email it to builtbywendy.com (go to the website for the address) and enter it in the competition. do it today though, because I think it's supposed to be over on the 1st.

Matthew said...

I've seen that graffiti. Is it on King near Bathurst?

KateB said...

Yay! Superchunk! Ah, the early 90s...

Lovely work, your awesomeness!

Sarah and Jack said...

That dress looks great. It always feels good to take fabric that has been sitting and watch it become something, doesn't it?

Miss13 said...

I love the dress, especially with those coveted shoes !!!

nicole said...

Matthew! yes! it's just down the street from my work! They came & too the fridge away though, so it's gone :(

And thanks for all the dress comments everyone!! Last night Donald said "That stuff looks way better as a dress than as Tim's crazy curtains!" I totally forgot that Tim had this stuff draped over his windows for almost a full year!

Jessica McGann said...

Ha! Calling people "gay" is hilarious!
And your dress is really pretty.