10 June 2007

I love you, Elizabeth Zimmerman.

*SO* happy with this...

Gord's Saddle Shoulder sweater is finished! Honestly, this was one of the most enjoyable knits I've done in a while - and considering it's pure stockinette, that's saying something.
I started it the first week of May & bound off the neck stitches on Friday night. So about a month in the making.
I have to say that I was a little nervous when I started - there was measuring, and gauge swatches, and percentage systems! Math! But the absolutely perfect fit of this sweater has made me realize that that's exactly what I should be doing every time I start a sweater.

I know its been said before, but I can't not say it - Elizabeth Zimmerman is a mother freaking genius. The raglan & shoulder decreases blew my mind as I knit them! Amazing!

I already wrote about the contrast hem - here it is in action. mmmmm!

I used 12 balls of Elann's Peruvian Wool in 'Oxford Heather Grey' & 1 ball of Patons Classic merino in 'Too Teal' for the hem. The Peruvian wool was great - it's soft enough, the colour is really nice, the price is amazing & I love that they are Canadian. (In fact, I just placed an order for lots of baby cashmere for my next project...more about that later..)

It's actually Gord's Christmas present. I had knit him a different sweater but the fit was way off & not really his style. He was honest & told me that he wasn't too jazzed on it, but that he knew I had spent lots of time on it. I told him I wanted to make him a perfect sweater that he will love. We talked lots about patterns & colours & now we have this - a perfect sweater that he loves. And I love it too! I take it as a great nod to our relationship that we were able to avoid, nay, SMASH the Boyfriend Sweater curse! Gord was able to be honest with me about the original sweater - it takes a brave soul to tell a knitter that they will never wear a gift that has been made just for them. Knitters almost always have pointy sticks in their hands.

Boyfriend approved!

8 comments:

Jenifer said...

I'm a first time reader here and wanted to compliment you on your work! I love the sweater, those adorable booties and the socks you designed. Hopefully you'll write up the sock pattern because I've got a skein of STR that have been waiting for the right pattern to reveal itself. I hate to gush, but I really liked your dress too. Great stuff!

kate said...

That looks great! I love the contrast hem and the shoulders. You knit like a pro.

earthchick said...

WOW! It looks great on him. Great job!

Julia said...

Congrats on busting the curse! My boyfriend can never ever see that sweater or I'll be swimming in grey stockinette for the next month. (Who am I kidding, the way I knit? Two months at least!)

JenniferB said...

I can't believe the sweater curse is on Wikipedia. lol! I'm here from Zimmermania to say I LOVE the sweater, too! Great fit! Congratulations!

rahime said...

That is one beautiful sweater!

nicole said...

Thanks everyone! Jenifer - I'm making another pair of socks with the pattern I made up just to make sure I didn't dream the first pair up by mistake :) The pattern is forthcoming!

knittingjuju said...

It's just so wonderful. I'm making virtually the same sweater for my also-bulky-chested husband. But the sleeves were way too tight for him. Had to rip back and am now reknitting with wider arms. Did you find this necessary, or did it fit for you straight out of the shoot?